Sunday, March 27, 2011

Moby Dick, and Battle L.A.

  

  I am currently taking a class called Novels. All you do in this class is read books off of a pre-approved reading list. The first book I read was Wuthering Heights, a gothic novel about obsessive love. It was good, and even though there were some parts I would rather not have read, I would deffinitely suggest it to anyone. The second book I read was Moby Dick. A book about living on the sea and trying to catch a legendary fish? Yessir, sounds good to me! Accept that there was barely any action. Ninety percent of the book is talking about the anatomy of a whale. The tail, the spout, the head, the bones were just a few of the subjects that filled WHOLE CHAPTERS. If you are into that sort of thing fine cool read it, but to me the story was dry and didn't have a lot of things going on. SPOILER! And I thought okay, there was one pretty good chapter, all they can do now is kill the white whale and then it'd be a moderately good book. Yeah, nope. Everyone dies except Ishmael (the narrator) Everyone. Even Queequeg, my favorite character who was a heroic cannibal from a small island. Now you may be thinking "Who are you to say that Moby Dick was terrible? It's a classic, everyone has heard of it!" That is a very good question, I mean I'm only 16 (almost 17), I don't have any degrees, I dont make a living off of this, but I have read many books. I thought To Kill a Mocking Bird was great, I read 1984 when I was in 8th grade and even though I didn't grasp everything George Orwell was trying to get across, it was still better than Moby Dick. I am also a very light critic. I normally don't have anything bad to say about books or movies because I can see the good parts in most things more than the bad parts, but there wasn't many good parts in Moby Dick.

This weekend I went to see the movie Battle L.A. I am not big into the scary type of movies (which I'm pretty sure this movie doesn't fall into this category, more of a thriller but I was still scared most of the time) but I thought this was a pretty good movie. It was constant action, which is always a good thing, and there were even parts of it that were funny which is good in any movie. The guys were all easy on the eyes and the intense parts were intense, the sad parts were sad, and the funny parts were funny. The movie isn't for people who can't follow a plot or for anyone with a week stomache. The only bad things I could say about this movie is that Small Spoiler: you could never get a good look at the aliens. When I was first watching, I thought they looked like robots, but when they were hacking one open, it looked like a nasty fleshy octopus. I was thouroughly confused. It was a little bit predictable, but not so much that you you could guess what was going to happen next.
  I was going to talk about my kindle...but I don't have time, so I'll save it for next time. Aye Aye Capp'n
Love and Buttons,
Faith

No comments:

Post a Comment